To start the week off in a zen-like state, throw on an apron and get your hands stuck into some amaretti cookie dough! We love spending time in the kitchen – it can be particularly therapeutic if you’re stressed out or trying to get your head around a tricky problem.
This recipe creates crisp, chewy cookies that are ideal alongside your coffee or (as the Italians would do) a post-dinner, sweet wine.
180g ground almonds
120g caster sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
Grated zest of ½ an orange
½ tsp natural almond extract
1 pinch salt
2 egg whites
1 tbsp honey
½ tsp natural vanilla extract
100g flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- In a bowl, mix together the ground almonds, caster sugar, lemon zest, orange zest, almond essence and salt.
- Rub everything together with your fingertips to disperse the zest and essence evenly.
- Whip the egg whites, honey and vanilla extract until firm peaks form.
- Slowly and gently fold the almond and sugar mix into the meringue, to get a soft but malleable paste.
- With your hands, roll the paste into a log, cut into 20g pieces.
- Flatten and pinch them in the middle a little, roll in a plate of flaked almonds to cover, then roll in plenty of icing sugar.
- Put on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and bake for 14-18 minutes – they should turn a very light golden colour, but stay relatively pale and chewy in the centre.
- Leave to cool completely before storing in a sealed jar.
We hope this inspires you to get creative with your baking this week. Make sure to tag us on Instagram if you post any pics! @hadlowgirls