Given we’re locals, we know first hand that New Market is calling out for cafes to rival those found in Grey Lynn and the like – and finally, the call is being answered by none other than the chic new bistro, Cali, which is re-invigorating the corner of Nuffield Street.
A group of us recently worked our way through Cali’s West Coast (of the USA) inspired brunch menu, whilst soaking up the dreamy interiors, cacti decorations and appropriately hip sound tracks.
With a diverse range of ingredients and unique plates, there is something for everyone. Between us we ordered:
- Puffed grain granola, with brown rice and amaranth, agave nectar, yogurt and fresh mangos ($12);
- Black rice and coconut pudding, with coconut milk, palm sugar, goji, hazelnut, toasted coconut and lime panna cotta ($12);
- Twice cooked buttermilk French toast, with a vanilla sugar brioche, orange, marscapone and maple ($18);
- Cali eggs benedict, with twice smoked dry cured bacon, kale, spinach, Pico de Gallo and jalapeno hollandaise ($22);
- Big breakfast, with eggs, streaky bacon, pork and granny smith sausage, tomatoes, agria rosti and Pico de Gallo; and
- Big vege, with eggs, avocado, Portobello mushrooms, tomatoes, agria rosti and Pico de Gallo ($22).
Note – the Pico de Gallo brought a satisfying, Mexican flavour to the dishes.
We also tried the tart, sour cherry “Red” smoothie ($14) and the “Green” smoothie ($15), because you’re just not doing it right, if you’re not drinking a juice or smoothie on the West Coast.
With very knowledgeable, prompt and friendly service (especially for a long weekend), we really enjoyed our experience.
Highly recommend checking it out!
Hadlow Girls x
Location: 23-27 Nuffield Street, Newmarket. Open Monday to Sunday 7am – late. Breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner. Kids menu. Contact ~ 09 523 4554.